Category Archives: Off the peninsula

Glimpses. 108 Fessenden Street.

Built ca 1895

A nicely detailed and well preserved Queen Anne in the USM neighborhood.

Continue reading

464 Deering Avenue

Built in 1877

They called it the ‘Old Back Bay Road’ when Nathaniel Sawyer purchased the lot for our subject in what was then the Town of Deering from Edward Winslow in 1876. After Deering was annexed by Portland it would become today’s Deering Avenue.

Continue reading

Glimpses. 30 Glenwood Avenue

Built ca 1899

As we have seen in previous posts, the introduction of trolley and omnibus service in the 1880’s & 90’s opened large tracts of former farm lands westward off the peninsula to development. Our subject is part of this trend and puts us back in touch with Mr. Llewellyn Morse Leighton.

Continue reading

31 Belmeade Street.

Built in 1923 by Frank and Grace Leavitt

Design by John Calvin and John Howard Stevens

Continue reading

318 Brighton Avenue. The Horace Farnham House

Built in 1902 by Horace Frank Farnham

Designed by John Calvin Stevens

Continue reading