Tag Archives: Maine

Glimpses. 22 Clifford Street

Built in 1916 for Ammi Whitney and his son Joseph.  Design by Frederick Tompson.

A brick colonial revival in the Western Promenade historic district. Continue reading

In Focus. Edward Henry Elwell

A pioneering editor, publisher, historian, and civic booster.

Edward H. Elwell ca. 1875. Maine Memory Network

Continue reading

26 Belmont Street

Built ca 1906 for Captain Lincoln Jewett. Design by John Calvin and John Howard Stevens

A handsome Queen-Anne in the Coyle Park neighborhood. Continue reading

Glimpses. 136 Pleasant Street

Built ca: 1830. Probably built by Joseph Ilsley.

A simple, late period, Federal in the Park-Pleasant Street neighborhood Continue reading

West End Walks. 2 Thomas Street

Built ca: 1910 for Arthur and Frances Champlin. Design by John Calvin and John Howard Stevens.

A large brick Colonial Revival in the West End Historic District.

Continue reading

Glimpses. 50 Cushman Street.

Built in 1870 by James Tenney for Clinton and Olive Jones

A substantial Second Empire in the West End neighborhood.

Continue reading

Why I do this

From “The Building of a House. A chapter in “Fraternity Papers”. Published by Edward H Elwell in 1888.

“There is a human interest in the biography of an old house . It is the story of generations which “ come like shadows , so depart ; ” of families which burgeoned and blossomed , and filled the old rooms with life and laughter , and grew up to maturity and strength , and spread wide their branches , and struck their roots deep into the soil , and seemed to hold possession forevermore , and then fell away limb by limb , and were shattered by the blasts of adversity , and sank into forgetfulness and sheer oblivion , and were succeeded by others who know them not , who in their turn flourished and decayed , and were alike forgotten”

60-62 Hampshire Street

Built ca 1867 for John Barbour & Jane Barbour Staples.

A fine, if somewhat remuddled, Second Empire double house in the India Street neighborhood.

Continue reading

Glimpses. 88 Stevens Avenue

Built ca 1870 by Thomas W O’Brion for his son Edward.

A funky Second Empire in the Bradley’s Corner neighborhood

Continue reading

44 Cedar Street

Built sometime between 1845 and 1852 by Edward P Thompson.

A sturdy Greek Revival in the Bayside neighborhood.

Continue reading