Tag Archives: 19th Century

Glimpses. 672 Ocean Avenue

Probably built between 1804 and 1814 by Nathan Sawyer. A transitional Georgian/Federal in the Lunt’s Corner neighborhood. Continue reading

West End Walks. 77-79 Carleton Street

Built ca: 1855 by Sewall Chase

An odd brick Italianate in the West End. Continue reading

15-17 Deering Street

Built in 1870 for Caroline and Thomas Weston. Simon Libby, builder. Samuel Knight and Nathan Redlon, masons.

A large Italianate double-house in the Deering Street Historic District. Continue reading

44-46 Avon Street

Built on speculation in 1874 by Elbridge G P Smith

A funky Second Empire in the Parkside neighborhood Continue reading

Glimpses. 45 Thomas Street

Built ca: 1866 for Augustin Gamage

A handsome Italianate in the Western Promenade Historic District
Continue reading

Glimpses. 23 St Lawrence Street

Built ca: 1851 for George Marston & Charles Montgomery.

A solid late-period Greek Revival on the slope of Munjoy Hill.

Continue reading

Row Houses: 196 Danforth Street. By Request

Built ca: 1836/7 by Eli Hamblen

A Greek Revival townhouse in the West End. Continue reading

Glimpses. 22 Clifford Street

Built in 1916 for Ammi Whitney and his son Joseph.  Design by Frederick Tompson.

A brick colonial revival in the Western Promenade historic district. Continue reading

In Focus. Edward Henry Elwell

A pioneering editor, publisher, historian, and civic booster.

Edward H. Elwell ca. 1875. Maine Memory Network

Continue reading

Glimpses. 136 Pleasant Street

Built ca: 1830. Probably built by Joseph Ilsley.

A simple, late period, Federal in the Park-Pleasant Street neighborhood Continue reading