Category Archives: Then & Now

Glimpses. 672 Ocean Avenue

Probably built between 1804 and 1814 by Nathan Sawyer. A transitional Georgian/Federal in the Lunt’s Corner neighborhood. Continue reading

Glimpses. 46 West Street

Built in 1876 by Moses C Merrill

A Mansard roofed Italianate in the West End. Continue reading

West End Walks. 77-79 Carleton Street

Built ca: 1855 by Sewall Chase

An odd brick Italianate in the West End. Continue reading

Glimpses. 45 Thomas Street

Built ca: 1866 for Augustin Gamage

A handsome Italianate in the Western Promenade Historic District
Continue reading

Glimpses. 22 Clifford Street

Built in 1916 for Ammi Whitney and his son Joseph.  Design by Frederick Tompson.

A brick colonial revival in the Western Promenade historic district. Continue reading

12 O’Brion (formerly Beckett) Street.

Built ca: 1864 (maybe)

A much-altered  Second Empire on the Eastern Promenade side of Munjoy Hill. Continue reading

In Focus. Edward Henry Elwell

A pioneering editor, publisher, historian, and civic booster.

Edward H. Elwell ca. 1875. Maine Memory Network

Continue reading

26 Belmont Street

Built ca 1906 for Captain Lincoln Jewett. Design by John Calvin and John Howard Stevens

A handsome Queen-Anne in the Coyle Park neighborhood. Continue reading

Glimpses. 136 Pleasant Street

Built ca: 1830. Probably built by Joseph Ilsley.

A simple, late period, Federal in the Park-Pleasant Street neighborhood Continue reading

West End Walks. 2 Thomas Street

Built ca: 1910 for Arthur and Frances Champlin. Design by John Calvin and John Howard Stevens.

A large brick Colonial Revival in the West End Historic District.

Continue reading