Category Archives: History

271 Deering Avenue

Built in 1915 for Harry ‘Henry’ Wilkie

Continue reading

181 Western Promenade. House #100

Built in 1911 for George West

Design by Frederick Tompson

Continue reading

Glimpses. 108 Fessenden Street.

Built ca 1895

A nicely detailed and well preserved Queen Anne in the USM neighborhood.

Continue reading

464 Deering Avenue

Built in 1877

They called it the ‘Old Back Bay Road’ when Nathaniel Sawyer purchased the lot for our subject in what was then the Town of Deering from Edward Winslow in 1876. After Deering was annexed by Portland it would become today’s Deering Avenue.

Continue reading

38-40 Quebec Street

Built in 2016-17

Modernism has been making it’s way into Portland slowly but with an increasing presence over the last few years. It’s time for us all to accept it

Continue reading

Glimpses. 30 Glenwood Avenue

Built ca 1899

As we have seen in previous posts, the introduction of trolley and omnibus service in the 1880’s & 90’s opened large tracts of former farm lands westward off the peninsula to development. Our subject is part of this trend and puts us back in touch with Mr. Llewellyn Morse Leighton.

Continue reading